Posts tagged skil
A tool that you may want to consider as you start to be come a true woodworker is a router. A router can help you add that professional edge to wood to make your boring woodworking projects suddenly look professional. The key to picking a router that will do what you want and satisfy your needs can be tough, but here are a few things to consider:
- Horse Power. The more powerful the better. You don’t want your router to strain under the load. For a standard use unit, look for 2 HP or more.
- Plunge vs. Fixed Base. While a plunge router allows you to ‘plunge’ as the name implies into the middle of boards and grind out material, a fixed base router is made to follow edges. Consider how you wish you use your router and the projects you may take on.
- A good compromise. Some routers like the Skil 1825-RT 2-1/4-Horsepower 2-Inch Router Combo Kit combine both a fixed base and a plunge base, making a versitile alternative for beginners and skille craftsmen alike.
Don’t forget you’ll also need a good router bit set.
Projects you can now accomplish with your new router include:
- Cutting out sink holes in counters
- Rounding edges on tables and cabinets, drawer fronts, etc.
- And much, MUCH more.